April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) when FSC joins organizations around the country to raise public awareness and educate communities on prevention. This year is the 20th anniversary of SAAM and our theme is “Use Your Voice”. Sexual abuse thrives when it is not taken seriously and victim blaming goes unchecked. Your voice is essential to setting the record straight on sexual assault.
We developed the “Use Your Voice” campaign to encourage people to speak up and use their voices and their words to promote safety, respect, and equality to stop sexual violence before it happens. Here is how you can “Use Your Voice” during SAAM2021:
- Practice healthy consent in all your relationships, even your everyday interactions
- Listen to and show your support for survivors
- Stand up to victim blaming; the disturbing trend to blame the victim instead of the perpetrator
- Shut down rape jokes
- Educate yourself and correct harmful myths and misconceptions of sexual assault
Throughout the month, we will be offering many ways for you to learn, engage, and participate. You can
Attend one of our Facebook Live events. These take place every Friday at noon. Topics for April are:
- April 2: How to talk about Sexual Violence
- April 9: Victim Blaming
- April 16: Are you supporting Rape Culture
- April 23: What is a sexual assault nurse examiner
- April 30: How to support a survivor
Show your support for sexual assault victims and survivors by participating in Wear Teal Day or Denim Day. Post a selfie on your favorite social media and make sure to tag FSC using the appropriate hashtag.
- Tuesday, April 6th is Wear Teal Day. Teal is the color of sexual assault awareness and prevention. Wearing teal—whether it is a teal ribbon, shirt, or other accessory—will serve as a conversation-starter about topics like consent, respect, and supporting survivors. Hashtags: #SAAMWearTealDay and #FamilySunshineCenter
- Wednesday, April 28th is Denim Day. Wear jeans or any denim clothing with a purpose – to protest the misconceptions that surround sexual violence. Hashtags: #DenimDay2021 and #FamilySunshineCenter
Like and follow us on Social Media. We will be posting information and graphics on how you can use your voice.
We know one month isn’t enough time to solve the serious problem of sexual violence/assault. But we believe the attention this month generates is an opportunity to energize and expand our prevention efforts throughout the year.